Today History: ‘Labor Day’ is celebrated on May 1, know today’s history
There cannot be a better teacher than history. History does not only include events in itself, but you can learn a lot from these events as well. In this episode, you will know what had happened in the country and world on 01 May, what big events had happened which left an impact on the pages of history. You will know that, on this day, we will talk more about the special persons born, those who went away from the world on this day.
Important events of 01 May
1840 – United Kingdom issued the first official postage stamp.
1851 – Queen Victoria inaugurates the grand parade in London.
1886- In America, a strike was organized to fix the working hours for the workers and from the same day, May 1 was declared as International Labor Day.
1897- Swami Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Mission.
1908 – Prafulla Chaki shoots himself after executing Muzaffarpur bombings.
1914 – Carmaker Ford becomes the first company to implement an eight-hour rule for its employees.
1923 – The beginning of celebrating May Day in India took place in Chennai. Earlier, there were 80 countries in India where May 1 was celebrated as Labor Day.
1956 – Polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public.
1960- Maharashtra was declared a state.
1961- Cuban Prime Minister Dr. Fidel Castro declared Cuba a socialist nation and put an end to the electoral process.
1972 – The country’s coal mines were nationalized.
1977 – Around 36 people died during Istanbul’s Takseem Square Labor Day celebrations.
1984- Fu Dorji manages to climb Mount Everest without oxygen.
1993 – Sri Lankan President Ranasinghe Premadas died in a bomb blast.
1996 – The United Nations declares itself officially poor.
1999 – Death penalty in Nepal ends.
2011 – Barack Obama announced that Osama bin Laden had been killed as the mastermind of the 11 September blasts.
2013 – late. As a tribute to Ramesh Bhai, on the occasion of Mazdoor Divas, his sixtieth birthday function, the material related to Ramesh Bhai on Bharatkosh was dedicated to the global readership at the function held at Sarvodaya Ashram, Tadiwan.
Person born on 01 May
- Senior Administrative Officer and former Governor of Kerala and Madhya Pradesh
- Niranjan Nath Wanchu was born in 1910.
- Balraj Sahni was born in 1913.
- Indian playback singer Manna Dey was born in 1919.
- Famous poet and contemporary critic of Hindi Namvar Singh was born in 1927.
- Indian politician S. M. Krishna was born in 1932.
- Ramesh Bhai, a social reformer and founder of Sarvodaya Ashram Tdianwa, was born in 1951.
- Contemporary poet and writer of India Jagdish Vyom was born in 1960.
- Israeli tennis player Shahar Pir was born 1987.
- Indian actress Anushka Sharma was born in 1988.
Died on 01 May
- Nirmala Deshpande, a famous female social activist associated with Gandhian ideology, died in 2008.
- Famous leader of ‘Bharatiya Janata Party’ and former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and Governor of Madhya Pradesh Ram Prakash Gupta died in 2004.
- Freedom fighter Prafulchand Chaki died on 1888.