Guru Nanak Jayanti 2019: How Guru Nanak Dev became the first Guru of Sikhs, know the history behind it: Guru Nanak Dev is considered the first Guru of Sikhs. According to the Hindi date, he was born on the full moon of Kartik month in a village called Talwandi. Followers of Sikhism also celebrate Kartik Purnima as a festival of light.
This time on Kartik Purnima, the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev is on 12 November, Tuesday. It is said that Guru Nanak Dev was of a calm attitude from childhood. This is the reason that when his childhood peers were busy in sports, he would close his eyes and start meditating.
Due to his religious instincts, his parents were worried. Once Guru Nanak Dev’s father sent him to the Gurukul to read, but his Guru, Nanak Dev’s question was answered. After examining the knowledge of Guru Nanak Dev, his educational teacher came to the conclusion that God himself had sent him to the world by giving knowledge.
Legend has it that Guru Nanak Dev was sent to a cleric to study, but even a maulvi named Qutubuddin could not calm his curiosity.
It is said that Guru Nanak Dev left his home and left to travel to other countries. The main ones being India, Afghanistan, Persia and Arabia. Guru Nanak Dev started preaching in these countries.
After his sermon, Guru Nanak Dev preached Kabir’s ‘Nirgun Upasana’ in Punjab and thus became a Guru of the Sikh sect. It is believed that Guru Nanak Dev became the first Sikh Guru from that time.
10 major teachings of Guru Nanak Dev:
- Guru Nanak Dev used to say that God is one.
- Always used to call Guru Nanak Dev to worship the same god.
- Nanak Dev believed that the presence of God is everywhere and in all beings.
- Guru Nanak Dev’s teaching was that one who does devotion to God does not fear.
- To earn a living requires honesty and hard work.
- Guru Nanak Dev’s exhortation was that one should neither inspire nor think about bad deeds.
- Guru Nanak Dev said that one should always be happy and should always pray to God for himself.
- Nanak Dev used to say that some part of the income earned through hard work and honesty should also be given to the needy.
- Guru Nanak Dev believed that there is no difference between man and woman.
- According to Guru Nanak Dev’s preaching, human beings need food to stay alive. However, the trend towards greed and wealth accumulation is poor.
Followers of Sikhism also celebrate Kartik Purnima as a festival of light. This time on Kartik Purnima, the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev is on 12 November, Tuesday.