Bhopal Gas Tragedy: Know more about Bhopal Gas Tragedy and this night: There have been some days in independent India which are called the dark days of the country’s history. These include the night of 2-3 December 1984. About 16 thousand people died due to what happened on this night. This night is known as the Bhopal Gas Tragedy in the history of India.
The reason for this accident was the leakage of poisonous gas in the factory of Union Carbide Company. This incident happened in the harsh winter when everyone was sleeping in their homes. The leakage was so rapid that it engulfed a large part in no time. People started having difficulty in breathing, difficulty in burning eyes, etc.
Five lakh people came in grip
The trouble which started in the night had gradually spread over a large area. Thousands of people had come in its grip. By morning, news of the death of people had started coming there. Due to inability to breathe, there were dead bodies of people along with cattle on the streets. No one could understand why all this was happening. Many agencies also have different opinions about the number of people killed during this period. The then government of Madhya Pradesh had confirmed the death of 3787 people, while their number had reached 16 thousand unofficially. Five lakh people were in the grip of this accident.
Life was lost due to this poisonous gas
Due to sudden leakage of poisonous gas, people here also died like insects. The horrifying pictures of this incident still haunt people. The picture you are seeing above was taken by photographer Raghu Rai, who later became the identity of the incident. The gas that killed thousands of people overnight from a company called Union Carbide was named Methyl Isocyanate Gas. This gas was used as a pesticide. People died like insects and overnight due to the leakage of this gas.
Devices were not right
Many safety devices present in the factory were not good, and some were quite shabby. The security manual present here was in English, while most of the employees working here did not know English. Nor were these people told about the security measures. The air vent cleaning the pipe had stopped working.
The 610 number tank was regularly filled with more MIC gas. Apart from this, the temperature of the gas was also 20 degrees instead of the prescribed 4.5 degrees. It is worth noting that this plant had three underground tanks which were E-610, E-611 and E-619. The capacity of each of these tanks was 68 thousand liters of liquid MIC. But they were only filled up to 50 percent.
How did this happen
On the night of 2-3 December, about half a dozen employees were going to clean a pipeline near 610, an underground tank inside the company. Meanwhile, the temperature of the tank which should have been five degrees Celsius had reached 200 degrees. The reason for the sudden rise in the temperature of the tank was the closure of a freezer plant which was shut down due to lower electricity bills. As the temperature of the tank increased, the gas started reaching the pipes. The valve was completed by those valves who were not well off. Gas was leaking through them.
Attempt to close the valve
These employees tried to close this valve but the danger siren rang out as the temperature rose. In such a situation, there was no other way than to get out of there as quickly as possible. The gas was seeping from the plant very fast. Gradually, it had engulfed a large area. Despite this, the operator of the factory denied any gas leak. At night, the number of patients who started with vomiting, restlessness, burning sensation, difficulty in breathing and flatulence problem started increasing. It was too late when the announcement was made to clear the entire area with a loud speaker in the morning.
The main accused has died
Warren Anderson, the operator of the factory, was named as the main accused for the cases of deaths due to poisoning from the poisonous gas of the Union Carbide factory. Soon after the accident, he escaped from India overnight safely. Efforts were made to bring him to India for years, but only failure came.
He died on 29 September 2014. The accident was one of the largest industrial accidents in the world. A film with the title ‘Bhopal A Prayer of Rain’ was also made in 2014. Even today the victims of this accident are in the hope of getting justice. Years later, the impact was seen in future generations until several years after the accident.
Let us tell you that the government had released 2259 figures of deaths due to this accident. In the affidavit filed by the government in this case in the year 2006, the number of people injured in this accident was stated to be 558,125. These included 38478 people with temporary disabilities and 3900 people with permanent disabilities. It was said that within two weeks of the accident, about 8000 people died while eight thousand people died during treatment. The debate over this incident has continued since then.
Was not the first accident
This was not the first time that there was a gas leak from this plant, but even before such accidents had happened. Even after this, the company administration did not pay any attention to this nor did the security measures remain chalked. Even this company has always been the cause of controversy. In 1976, the trade union raised the issue of pollution from this plant.
Even in 1981, some personnel died due to gas leakage. After this incident, the local newspaper even wrote that the people of Bhopal are sitting on Jwalamukhi. A similar gas leak hit 24 workers in January 1982. In February this year, a similar accident occurred and 18 employees were hit by poisonous gas. In August 1982, an engineer was scorched by 30 percent due to a gas leak. A similar accident happened again in Aktur 1982. Three employees, including the supervisor, were caught in it. Similar accidents happened in 1983 and 1984 but the company did nothing.