Rafale deal verdict: know what is the Rafale deal dispute, Supreme Court will pronounce important decision on it: As the day of the retirement of the Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi is coming to a close, the clock to give decision on some matters has also come close. Let me tell you that before retirement, they have to pronounce judgment in five important matters. The most discussed case is from Ayodhya. The second case is related to former Congress President Rahul Gandhi while the third case is related to the entry of women in the Sabarimala temple.
The fourth case is related to bringing the CJI court under the purview of RTI and the fifth case is related to Rafale deal verdict. Rafael has been under debate between the opposition and the government for a long time. While the government is describing this as its achievement, the opposition is raising questions especially on the Congress government. Congress can smell the scam in this.
The Rafale case has been in dispute for a long time. Although India has also started getting its consignment, the dispute is still alive. Many people, including political parties, are eyeing the decision on this. Let me tell you here that in almost all the elections, the opposition raised this issue very loudly.
However, the court has already rejected the demand for a probe under the supervision of the deal for the purchase of 36 Rafale aircraft. This has been challenged by other petitioners including Arun Shourie and former BJP leader Yashwant Sinha by filing a review petition.
NDA started exercise
In view of the poor condition of MiG and Jaguar aircraft inducted into the Air Force and the shortage of fighter aircraft, the exercise was initiated for the purchase of fighter jets. First, 42 fighter squadrons were needed to increase the capacity of the Indian Air Force, which was later reduced to 34. In the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, after the demand of the Indian Air Force, it was proposed to buy 126 Rafale aircraft for the first time.
But after the departure of the Vajpayee government, it was pushed forward by the Congress and in 2007 it approved the purchase. After this the bidding process started and the RFP for the purchase of 126 aircraft was issued. Let me tell you that this deal is part of the MMRCA program (Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft) which was launched to bridge the gap between LCA and Sukhoi.
Rafale selected in many aircraft
Of the six aircraft involved in the process, Rafael was finalized. One of the reasons for this was that it could cover a distance of more than three thousand at a time. Apart from this, it was priced lower than other fighter jets and was cheaper to maintain.
Apart from Rafale, in the process, the US Boeing F / A-18E / F Super Hornet, US Lockheed Martin F-16 Falcon, Russia’s Mikhayan MiG-35, France’s Dassault Rafael, Britain’s Eurofighter and Sweden’s Saab 39 Gripen Such as fighter aircraft. In 2011, the Indian Air Force announced to meet the criteria of Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon. Negotiations for Rafale started with Dassault Aviation in 2012. However, this conversation about its price remained incomplete till 2014 as well.
Deadlock before the deal
The deal could not be finalized as both sides remained deadlocked in the matter of technology transfer during the UPA government. Actually, Dassault Aviation was not persuaded at one point included in the draft of the deal. India wanted the company to take responsibility for the quality of Rafale aircraft being manufactured here, but the company was not ready for this.
According to Dusseld, it required 30 million man hours to produce in India, while HAL stated it required three times more man hours. Because of this, the cost of the aircraft would have increased considerably.
Consent, agreement and condition
- During the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to France in 2015, an agreement was reached between the two countries regarding this aircraft.
- The agreement included the supply of aircraft within the stipulated time frame.
- Apart from this, the company had to make all the systems and weapons related to the aircraft as per the prescribed standards.
- The company was responsible for the maintenance of the aircraft under the agreement.
- The deal was approved by the cabinet in 2016. The company was to start supplying the aircraft within 18 months of the signing of the agreement.
- This is how the dispute started
After the deal with France on Rafale, the UPA accused the central government of doing so at a much higher price. UPA said that NDA has done this deal for about twelve and a half hundred crores more than his government. The government claimed that the French company would be instrumental in promoting Make in India after the deal.
Congress demands and questions
- The opposition continued to demand that the data on the deal be made public.
- Congress alleged that the UPA government headed by it was paying Rs 54,000 crore for 126 aircraft, while the Narendra Modi government was paying 58,000 crore for 36 aircraft.
- The Congress had alleged that the price of one Rafale aircraft in the Modi government was Rs 1555 crore, which was to be purchased in the UPA government for Rs 428 crore.
- The Congress raised questions on Rafael and Make in India.
- According to the Congress, during the UPA government, 108 aircraft were to be assembled in India, while 18 finished aircraft were to be delivered to India.
- The transaction also included technology transfer.
- The UPA questioned why there was a panic in the Modi government over the deal.
- The Congress has accused the scam in the deal.
- Rahul Gandhi has described the Rafale deal in the House as a deal of 1 lakh 30 thousand crores.